Breakfast Tacos are simply the best vehicle for eating food, especially as a work lunch. It’s why I love the burrito, too, because it holds everything together, and it feels so nice as I assemble each layer: the tortilla, the spread, the veggies, the eggs, and the sauce. This has been my #1 lunch since the pandemic started for me because it’s so easy, quick, and so darn delicious to put together.
I’ll give away my secret to cooking scrambled eggs: don’t wait until the pan is hot to crack them in. The reason is that I like to let the eggs and pan cook simultaneously. When the pan and eggs are coming up to temperature, I’ll hit the eggs with seasoning and scramble them right when they’re starting to cook. In my first moment of scrambling, I like to pierce the yolk first thing before making figure eight motions, and then once I make a few circles, I’ll stop and let it cook and then flip so the other side cooks for 30 seconds maximum. This method produces larger curds, so I hope you like this style. If you don’t, please give it a try and let me know if you still prefer your scrambled eggs with smaller curds (that can be a lot more creamy, FYI).
Note: Mise en place is important here. Once you get the pan heated and ready to cook, everything comes together rather quickly. It’s best if you don’t text or read emails during this process to achieve perfection. So it’s important to get all your veggies and tortilla ready beforehand. Start by dicing your scallions (you can also cut them on a bias, aka diagonally, to make them look fancy on top of your eggs). Chop your herbs too and set aside to sprinkle on top your scrambled egg taco after it’s plated. Set aside your desired amount of avocado as well.
- 2 eggs
- 2-3 scallions
- 1 tbsp neutral oil
- Herbs for garnish (parsley, cilantro, tarragon)
- S+P (and other seasonings if you like!)
- Hot sauce (I’m a huge fan of Cholula)
- Tortilla (the one shown in the picture is the spicy tortilla from Trader Joe’s, but you could use any, big or small!)
- Dice scallions, chop herbs, and mash the avocado. Set aside.
- Heat your tortilla in the toaster or on the gas stove
- Spread the mashed avocado on the tortilla
- Heat your pan with the oil
- Crack your eggs into the pan
- While the pan/eggs are coming up to temp, season with your preferred spices. I love cumin, turmeric, coriander, and red chili flakes!
- When you start to hear the sizzle, start scrambling the eggs. Move the spatula through the eggs in larger motions for big curds
- After a few circular motions/once you see the yellows and whites combined, let it just cook on that side
- Flip after 30 seconds to a minute
- Let it cook for an additional 30 seconds maximum on the other side
- Turn off the heat and place on your tortilla
- Garnish with herbs and/or hot sauce, and enjoy!