Back in my college days, I could not get behind cooked oatmeal because of the way it looked (bland and mushy, no thanks). But with time, I leaned into oats starting with the quick oats that you pop in the microwave because of the convenience and delicious flavors they had. The best flavor was apple cinnamon, no competition there. Since college, I’ve moved past the packets and graduated (pun intended) onto something greater: overnight oats and, most recently, cooked oatmeal on the stove.
I never thought I’d be an oatmeal person. Turns out, I just needed to add my favorite flavors and spices (cocoa and a lot of dashes of cinnamon really help!). This is a highly requested recipe in the house weekly, so you already know this will be a hit!
After you get the oats recipe down, you can pick and choose the things you put on top. I love loading mine with fruits and a little almond butter drizzle. But you do you! There’s also granola, shredded coconut, or dark chocolate chunks. If you make it, I’d love to see your creations on Instagram or Twitter.
Ingredients: (1 Serving)
- 1/4 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup plant-based milk or water
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp peanut or almond butter
- 1 spoonful of chia seeds
- 1 spoonful of flax seed or flax seed powder
- get a mason jar and start with the oats and all the dry ingredients
- Pour in your liquid and stir until it’s well combined (you may want to close the lid and give it a few shakes for extra measure)
- Let it sit in the fridge overnight or for 12 hours
- Top with whatever your heart desires!